Saturday, December 4, 2010

Trash Dumpster Paradox - Part 2


So, after the man’s comment about digging in our dumpster for aluminum cans, you’d think that maybe I gave him some cash right? Maybe I invited him to “come back anytime” to collect or cans? Maybe you thought I apologized. Or maybe you thought I was really super spiritual and invited the guy to church. If you really thought I was on my game, you would have thought that I would have shared the Gospel with him.

Unfortunately, I didn’t do any of that. I just simply said something like, “Oh. Ok. Have a good day.” Then I closed his door and off he drove. By the time I got back up to my office, God began strongly correcting me and teaching me some stuff:

1.     Why is it that I feel like I have to right every wrong? (especially when it comes to saving trash dumpsters)
2.     I don’t need to prejudge anyone. People in need have already had enough of that.
3.     The face of the man in need is the face I don’t ever want to get out of my head again.
4.     Did I push that man away from ever coming to our church?
5.     Did I push that man away from ever coming to Jesus?
6.     Will that man be in hell one day because I was more concerned about a stupid trash dumpster than I was about him?

I found myself praying for the next couple of days, “Lord, please give me another chance with that man. Just one more chance to beg him to forgive me and let him know that I acted horribly.” Which brings me to the last thing God hammered into my heart:

7.     Sometimes you only get once chance to be the compassion of Jesus to a hurting person.

Chances are that we’ve all acted this way at some point in time. I think I’ll act differently next time. I hope so. God give us the compassion of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment