Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Give Me A Bezalel and an Oholiab

Throughout the middle portion of the book of Exodus, God had called Moses up to the top of the mountain to give him very specific instructions about how life was to be conducted in the Israelite community. He also gave Moses very detailed instructions about the construction of the Tabernacle - which was the Old Testament "church house" and center place of worship.

If you read through all the instructions about how the Tabernacle and its furnishings were to be built, you'd have to read close to 250 verses of details. That's a lot. If I were Moses, I would suddenly feel overwhelmed with such a huge burden of responsibility.

But fortunately, God knew that Moses couldn't do all of the work. As a matter of fact, God knew that Moses really wasn't gifted to be a general contractor for such a project. God placed His spirit upon two guys named Bezalel and Oholiab and gave them the supernatural ability to take care of the project (Exodus 35:30-35).

A couple of things here are important. First, God doesn't call the leader to do everything. Just because you're the leader doesn't mean you have to be the smartest or most gifted person on the team. It doesn't mean that you have to pretend to be either. It just means that God called you to that position first for a reason - and that reason is to lead.

Second, it's important to see that certain tasks are for certain people but the criteria in "kingdom work" is that the Spirit of God is upon someone - like He was upon Bezalel and Oholiab. As the old saying goes, "God doesn't call the equipped. He equips the called." So as a leader, it's important for me to be sensitive to those whom God has equipped and anointed for service and let them "build the Tabernacle." But again, the criteria is this: is it evident that God has equipped them with His Spirit and with a gifting for the task.

Finally, I am reminded already of the Bezalels and Oholiabs that God has placed in my life throughout the years. If it weren't for all of those people that have come alongside me, I'd still be stuck in the mud of yesterday. I'm incredibly grateful for the people God has placed in my life.

My prayer today: God, give me more Bezalels and Oholiabs to encourage me and help me to do what you've called me to do. Help me to be a Bezalel and Oholiab to others. Fill me with your Spirit to do the specific work You've called me to do. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Hope you and Church180 are doing well!
    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan,

    You are such an encouragement to me for sure. God has called you to great things and as long as you are obedient He will bless your efforts. Stay strong and continue to grow His kingdom. Mamma Nae

    ReplyDelete