Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Every Day Is A Gift

Just this past week, I had an opportunity to attend the Global Impact Conference at First North in South Carolina. What an incredible week hearing from some spiritual giants in the world of missions! Last Friday, I was invited to share about our church plant with Mrs. Coffee's 4th grade class there at the Spartanburg Christian Academy. On the way into the class, I went into the same area of the building that I went to kindergarten in. It had been around 30 years since I had really been able to go in to this part of the building and really take time seeing what was in there.

Talk about being overwhelmed!!! I saw the same rooms that I was in when I was 4 years old!!! Crazy!!! After seeing these rooms, we went upstairs toward the classroom and I then remembered that I went to children's church just down then hall. Some of those memories seem like they were just yesterday. After speaking to the class, I took about 15 minutes to go and just sit and think in the old children's church room. Here are the thoughts that raced through my mind:

  1. 30 years goes by about like 15 seconds sometimes. 
  2. I wish I could go back as that 4 year old and change some things.
  3. God has brought me a long way.
  4. Children's church made a huge impact on my life (because it was done really well).
  5. Did I really turn 34 years old that quick??
  6. I'm almost halfway through my life. What will the next 34-40 years look like?
  7. Thank you Lord, for adults who loved me and cared for me as a kid.
As I was just completely overwhelmed by the brevity of life, I thought of this song by Chris Rice:
 
Psalm 39:4-7

4 “Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
      Remind me that my days are numbered—
      how fleeting my life is.
 5 You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.
      My entire lifetime is just a moment to you;
      at best, each of us is but a breath.”
                         Interlude
 6 We are merely moving shadows,
      and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.
   We heap up wealth,
      not knowing who will spend it.
 7 And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
      My only hope is in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment