Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Priorities


December just snuck up on me! A favorite Christmas song says, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year!” I think the song should say, “It’s the most busiest time of the year.” When it comes to Christmas, life gets crazy!! There are parades, rehearsals, parties, family get-togethers, presents to buy, trips to make, and terrible fruitcake to eat (some of you will visit some fruitcakes!!). At Christmas time, life speeds up from 5mph to 100mph.

My life is a constant struggle with “things to do.” Those who know me well can tell you that I keep a current list of things to do on my office desk. As a matter of fact, I think it has grown to be another limb on my body. Today there are 55 “things to do” on my list and the list will grow as the week continues. As I write this, I am reminded of what my priorities should be. Have I spent quality time alone with God? Have I spent quality time with my wife? Have I loved people? Have I spent time working on the gifts that God has given me?

Isn’t it strange how our “top priorities” get pushed aside for things that don’t really matter? It’s sad to think about how we let the urgent matters of life to come before the important matters of life. I read a quote in college that has stuck to me this day. It says, “If what you’re doing now won’t matter in five years, it probably isn’t worth doing at all.”

As the Christmas season begins, remember that Jesus said, Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well (Matt. 6:33, NIV).

For more practical help with getting your priorities in order, check out http://www.marin.edu/~don/study/5time.html





2 comments:

  1. I like what you quoted...“If what you’re doing now won’t matter in five years, it probably isn’t worth doing at all.” I need to remember this everyday...thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Randall & Erin! Just thinking about you guys this morning. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete