Monday, January 24, 2011

Doo-Doo Prayers


            I’m guessing that you’re already thinking, “What is this dude writing about now?” I want to share about something that perhaps we just don’t understand (self included). Probably more times than not, we just “don’t get it.”

            Less than 2 minutes ago, I finished helping my oldest son Cross (he’s 23 months old) get to bed. Before we put him in bed, we always read a short Bible story from his baby Bible and then we say our prayers. Just about every time, Rachel or I are the ones saying the prayers.

            But not tonight. I asked Cross if he was ready to “say prayers” and he said “uh huh.” And with a voice that makes me melt, he began to pray. You know what he said? Here it is. It’s really profound but really great:

            “Doo – doo Jeez. Amayn.”

Now if anyone else had heard that, they’d have no idea what he said but being the parent, I knew exactly what he said. The translation is this:

“Thank You Jesus. Amen.”

            Now before I start to portray my son as the next Billy Graham, I must say that he has already shown his sinful nature on many occasions but he is learning what it means to know God. Even tonight, he reminded me of the simplicity of prayer and gratitude. Adults want to make it complicated but it’s not. Sometimes Jesus just wants a simple yet grateful “Thank You Jesus. Amen” instead of a “Dear heavenly Father, we thank You so much for all of the blessings You have so richly bestowed upon us. . . .”

           Psalm 100:4 tells us how to approach God. We’re to “enter His gates with thanksgiving.” Thanksgiving is the key that unlocks the door of fellowship with God. It’s the way into His presence but it doesn’t have to be elaborate.

            When you’re able to have food on the table, you can pray a “doo-doo” prayer.  When you remember that you have friends, it’s time to say “doo-doo.” When you remember that God loves you, it’s time to say “doo-doo.” And so it goes on and on.

            Remember your “doo-doos” and remember that God loves “doo-doos.”

2 comments:

  1. Man! That was a great reminder of what He deserves more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Al !! I agree! So glad you're reading the blog!

    ReplyDelete